Prev: Re: Dirtside Lite redux Next: Re: Hammer's Slammers

GW 40K Off Topic (was: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc.)

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 14:06:32 -0400
Subject: GW 40K Off Topic (was: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc.)

At 12:08 PM 8/13/97 -0500, you wrote:

>While I have to agree that GW's policy of the next miniature being more
>powerful than the last seems prevalent, i used to play the origional
>release of 40K.  If I remember right the marines were not truly
awesome,
>they regularly got a kicking from the Eldar.

The point system was broken. I remember analysing the costs and finding
that
in the average game the Orks could put out more bolter armed troops per
point than the marines. The problem was the cost of the power armour.
Sure,
it gave a trooper protection from a vacuum, gases, etc. but in most
games
that was never a factor yet the player still had to pay the point cost.
You
could buy something like 20% more Orks than marines for the same cost,
yet
the troops were almost identical in all other respects (marines had a
higher
WS, while Orks had a higher T). My analysis showed that Marines were a
bad
buy. Instead of fixing the point costs, they tweaked the stats, thus
beginning the upward spiral.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Dirtside Lite redux Next: Re: Hammer's Slammers