Prev: GW and stuff (including rugby!) Next: GW 40K Off Topic (was: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc.)

Re: Dirtside Lite redux

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 13:59:33 -0400
Subject: Re: Dirtside Lite redux

At 08:56 PM 8/12/97 -0400, Joe wrote:

>This is a great Idea, but isn't that infringing on GW's copyright.  I
don't
>think that they would be too happy about a competing game system
writing
>rules for their models.

It's not a question of copyright. It would be easy to include DS2 stats
for
vehicles with a note saying, "You can use this stat with GW's Land
Raider
models." No copyright violation. However, they may have trademarked
"Land
Raider" so there would be a violation if that was used without
permission.
Of course, it would be fairly easy to play around with the names and
such so
that people knew that the DS2 stats were for GW vehicles.

>I to have done some Epic conversions to DSII and I took the previous
tact
>and made the landraider a big, slow AFV with no troop carring ability.
>think I gave it 2 linked HEL-4, APWS, and reactive armor.

I gave the Land Raider 4 HEL-2s in fixed mounts (actually sponsons using
the
fixed mount cost). The troop carrier version of the Land Raider had 2
HEL-3s. I made the vehicle size 4 (as opposed to David Brewer's
suggestion
of size 5) because the Shadowsword tank is bigger than the LR and I
wanted
it to sit at size 5.

The reason for the HEL-3s was due to a design philosophy I had for the
three
main sides in GW's universe: Humans, Orks, and Eldar. The humans, in my
conversion, are the middle of the road. They use tracked vehicles, but
very
few grav vehicles (and those they do use are small). They have enhanced
fire
controls and most of the vehicles have backup systems. Their weapons are
not
the most powerful. For the Orks, I gave them VERY powerful weapons but
only
basic fire control. They are technologically inferior (they still use
wheeled vehicles) and rely on brute force to destroy the enemy. The
spleenrippa, for instance, has basic fire control for its class 5 HKP. I
haven't done the Eldar yet, but I'm planning on giving them superior
fire
control. I haven't decided if they'll get very powerful weapons or some
more
on a par with the humans.

This results in three armies that feel and play very differently. The
Orks
are slow and have trouble hitting but when they DO hit, the target
doesn't
stand much of a chance. The humans are more mobile but don't hit as hard
as
the Orks. The Eldar are fast movers and probably very powerful, however
their numbers will be much less than the humans. Eldar versus Orks could
be
interesting: small, fast and surgical, versus big, slow, and powerful.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: GW and stuff (including rugby!) Next: GW 40K Off Topic (was: [OFFICIAL] Salvo Missiles etc.)