Prev: RE: Scratchbuilt Fleets Next: Re: GenCon

Re: Berets and other head varients.

From: david@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:59:56 -0400
Subject: Re: Berets and other head varients.

In message <970812133031_1848956341@emout04.mail.aol.com>
TEHughes@aol.com writes:

...That would be me...

> << >You don't often see special forces
>	>wearing helmets. Plenty of soft headware, berets, sunhats,
forage
>	>caps, wooly hats, arab-style head coverings, kepi etc. >>
>
> I wonder, this is SF where the high tech battle field rules?

Well, no, I meant right now today, but since GZG ground-based
games are clearly directed at combat being not-radically-
different-to-today it all follows.

> What about the radio R/T,

...earphones and throat mike (but surely you'll be keeping radio
silence anyway),...

> infra red pop down interface,

...goggles,...

> helmet cam,

...at home (ditto RT silence)...

> built in map projector (with the "you are here red arrow!),

...on the NCO (can't trust an officer with a map),...

> ammo status,

...on your weapon,...

> magna gogles,

...goggles again (I wouldn't want my vision permanently magnified
anyway),...

> aural magnifier,

...earphones again,...

> em detector, etc.

Remind me... this is kit that will detect when all the kit above
is being used...? Good reason to chuck them all...

It all rather brings up the question of cognative loads and
information overkill.

It also goes to show that we can add a huge range of exciting, new,
head varients to the seperate head/body idea with many, many
different combinations of neato head furniture to personalise your
troopers the way want them. Which would include helmets.

> In the High Tech battlefield the elite troops would be the ones with
helmets
> and the militia would be the ones without.

I think it more the case that the elite will get their personal
preference and the militia will discard unwanted encumberances.
The regulars inbetween would get the regulation kit and a fine
if they don't follow the regs.

Just an opinion.

--
David Brewer

"Richard did and said nothing about the princes, and thereby confirmed
the general belief that he had had them put to death (a belief since
accepted by the great majority of historians)." - Prof. Charles Ross

Prev: RE: Scratchbuilt Fleets Next: Re: GenCon