Prev: Detachments & actions in SG2 (attn jon) Next: Gurkhas in Stargrunt II.

Re: damn super dreadnoughts

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 09:57:51 -0400
Subject: Re: damn super dreadnoughts

Christopher Pratt writes:

@:) I am kinda of in agreement with the needle missle school of
@:) thought...	somebody posted a design for a crusier that packed 8
@:) missles, all needle, and fan them so the dreadnought can't
@:) possibly avoid them all!!  once you down the sheilds, close in
@:) with the rest of you line ships and and "try" to down it...

  I don't know.  The problem, as always, with needle weapons is their
limited ability to hit.  With the missiles they first have to "hit"
in the normal way and then they still have only a 50% chance of doing
anything.  So if you fire one missile, you've got some low chance of
hitting divided by two.  If you have to fire four missiles to expect
one to land, now you have to fire eight to have a better than even
chance of causing damage.

  That being said, missiles and their carriers are cheap so maybe it
works out.  I think fighters are a better bet, and after that, PTs in
large numbers.

-joachim

Prev: Detachments & actions in SG2 (attn jon) Next: Gurkhas in Stargrunt II.