Prev: Re: gencon Next: Re: Ship Prefix's

Re: Ship Prefix's

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 08:04:44 -0400
Subject: Re: Ship Prefix's

  All right, this conversation is really getting seriously off topic
now.  But, to connect it to FT, well, Full Thrust has syllables, and
FT is an abbreviation that we frequently use... oh, bugger, here's my
reply:

Allan Goodall writes:
@:) At 09:51 AM 7/30/97 -0400, you wrote:

@:) Panzerkampfwagen = 4 syllables (panzer kamph wag en)
@:) PKW = 4 syllables (pee kay double you)

  I know British and American pronunciation is different sometimes,
but I think we usually agree on how many syllables a word has, right?
OK, class, repeat after me "Pan-Zer"!  Very good.  :)

  As for PKW it would be pronounced pe ka veh, so only three
syllables.  Still longer than Panzer and doesn't sound as cool.

@:) Panzer = 1 syllable. You win.

  Or whatever.

@:) >  If he were visiting Hamburg he would have said "Ich bin eine
@:) >Frickadelle",... <<snipped>>
@:)
@:) It was a rhetorical question and a joke. I just find the idea of
@:) Kennedy saying "Ich bin eine Hamburger" terribly hilarious for no
@:) apparent reason.

  Of course it was but I think it would have been much funnier if he
had said Frickadelle.  They're so fat and round and cute.  Actually, I
wouldn't be surprised if Chancellor Kohl made that speech.

-joachim

Prev: Re: gencon Next: Re: Ship Prefix's