Prev: Ships on stands Next: Counters now on my web page

Re: Mini Figs Tip; Number Two.....

From: Adrian Bruce <adrian@i...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 11:46:20 -0400
Subject: Re: Mini Figs Tip; Number Two.....

Peggy & Jeff Shoffner wrote:

> > If you want more information on casting tips and whatnot I could
email you
> > this as well.  Also, I will be posting some sources for the material
next
> > week as some members have already requested this.
> >
> > Mike Miserendino

Molding and casting in resin is one of the things on my own web page,
but there are
lots and lots of pages on it already. What I haven't gone into is making
bubble free
molds.... that is more art than sceince.  BTW, casting in white metal is
pretty much
the same thing, you just need RTV that can handle the high temperature.
You also use
baby powder as a release agent instead of silicon spray or whatever....
but *REAL*
industrial strength casting requires vacuum chambers for resin casting
and centrifigal
mold rotating machines to cast in white metal. Without it, not all of
your castings
will be perfect.. ( actually it seems that some manufactures only use
what a hobbiest
would anyway!).  Injection molded resin is also being done, Saves the
money on metal
mold tooling.... this is something worth doing if you really wanted home
made 6mm
infantry in quantity ( something I've thought about, but I believe
sculpting that
stuff will make you blind 8^)  . Toy makers usually do there pattern
masters much
bigger than the final product and reduce them with a panograph.... again
not something
a hobbiest would do).

> As for minis tips, I've been holding onto the relevant ones; dupes I
usually
> throw away.  As for primer, I haven't hade much luck with them; the
primer
> tends to show through the paint....  I'd like to learn more about this
silver

You can put a white as an undercoat over the surface primer before
putting on the color
coats to fix with problem.

--
	Adrian Bruce   adrian@inetc.roland.co.jp
	    SF2D&I http://www.inetc.roland.co.jp/~adrian/

Prev: Ships on stands Next: Counters now on my web page