Prev: StarGrunts II Squad generation points: leaders Next: Re: With a name like, "Full Thrustt"...

RE: Turned Tables...... (Fiction, long) Part 2!!

From: "Mike Wikan" <mww@n...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 05:09:21 -0400
Subject: RE: Turned Tables...... (Fiction, long) Part 2!!

Outside in Space, the destroyer Ardent arrowed in on the Leviathan's
port side. Following a twisting, evasive path, she pulled her bow in
line with the Battlecruiser for a brief instant and shuddered as she
let loose a flurry of short ranged hunter-class Armor Piercing
Submunitions. The short range sprint missiles corkscrewed in to the
Juggernaut's side even as a massive Pulse Laser turret swiveled
ponderously around to target the Destroyer. The Black Prince fired
even as the missiles fireballed into her portside armor. The impact
from the missiles rolled the Black Prince 15 degrees off vertical
aspect as the Heavy Beams lashed at point blank range into the
Ardent. The Pulse Lasers were designed to defeat screens carried by
ships far larger than a mere destroyer and as the beams lanced in to
her lower engine assembly, they seared upward in a line induced by the
Battlecruiser's unexpected roll. On board Northampton, Smythe watched
in horror as Ardent was sliced in two by the beams, both halves of
wreckage tumbling away on different vectors spewing atmosphere and
hydrogen fuel. Even as Ardent died, Northampton reached optimum
attack range. Designed to support the wall of battle, the Furious
class Light Cruisers carried a very heavy armament with
correspondingly light defenses. Studying the plot for a moment,
Smythe raised a hand and dropped it with a short chopping motion
"FIRE!!" the bow of Northampton lit up with several flares of bright
red as the two Phased Plasma Cannon in the bow spat out their loads
of hellish cargo. The two 5 meter spheroids of Superheated Plasma
accelerated to .7 cee, crossed the distance between the two ships at
impossible speed. One ball of energy grazed the ship just aft of her
sensor array, buckling the hull across a 25 meter length as the heat
energy distorted the plating.The other round struck the bow dead on
in the spinal particle array.
"DAMAGE REPORT!!" Kanov bellowed above the roar of ruptured pressure
conduit on the bridge. He had been spared when spall from the missile
attack had whipsawed a three foot section of molten bulkhead across
the bridge- decapitating his exec and wrecking the tac pit. Back up
sensors were on-line, but just barely. " Sir, the Spinal Array is
GONE!! We have heavy casualties in all sections!! Needle one is Gone,
but Turret Able is intact! Maneuver is on Manual only!" the harried
ensign yelled from damage control. " Cut all power to engines!! Let
us roll!!" Kanov yelled to the helm. Smiling grimly, he studied his
display...
On the bridge of Northampton, the bridge crew whooped in triumph as
the enemy vessel tumbled slowly out of control. Red light burned
fitfully on the hull as internal fires slowly depleted oxygen in
different hull sections. "Come around for another pass. This time
we'll finish her. No quarter." Smythe smiled in satisfaction. No more
convoys for your teeth...
"Range 30,000 Kays. 25,000 Kays. 20,000 Kays." The weapons officer
read off her tac plot as the enemy cruiser closed for the kill.
"Wait. Just another moment..." Kanov muttered to himself. " 5,000
Kays!!" The WO looked up from her display, pale. "ROLL SHIP!! EXECUTE
FIRE LANCE!!" Kanov bellowed.
 Smythe started as the Battlecruiser momentary aligned itself in it's
tumble with his vessel "FIRE AT WILL!! SHE"S NOT DEAD!!" He yelled
frantically at his weapon officer. From a heavily armored bay under
her bows, a Heavy Strike missile accelerated at point blank range
directly into the bows of Northampton. Her Point defense lasers
firing frantically, but inaccurately as  she tried to evade. To no
avail.
The Missile detonated 25 meters from the bow of the light cruiser and
the fireball literally ATE the first 40 meters of hull in a plasma
fireball. The remaining ship detonated in a series of massive
explosions as her Fusion torus failed and the magnetic bottle vented
plasma into space. The debris, however was still travelling at
substantial velocity directly at Black Prince. "COLLISION
STATIONS!!!" Kanov yelled.

Then the sky fell on him.

Groggily opening his eyes, Kanov looked up at Ensign Miranda Owens,
his acting Weapon Officer. He noticed the narrow confines of an escape
pod behind her shoulder and grimaced. "Take it easy sir, you have a
concussion and twenty three stitches in you forehead." she smiled
gently at him. Lifting himself up to a sitting posture, he inquired
(after the pod interior stopped orbiting his throbbing head) "What
happened?" " Sir, the debris from the Rep Cruiser impacted us and
ruptured our fuel tankage and life support section. We were forced to
abandon ship." she said. "Damn, I though we had them beat." he
muttered. "Survivors?" She indicated her display " I have seventeen
pods checked in with sixty -two survivors." One hundred seventy six
dead, he thought. My God......
" Well, signal all hands that we are triggering general distress
beacons. Looks like we'll be sitting out the rest of the war. Tell
them they have served well and it has been an honor." Kanov lowered
himself back down to the floor. As sleep engulfed him again, he had
one last thought of his Grandmother saying "Be careful Boris, if you
play too often in other people's yards you will end up in trouble!
Smiling gently as darkness washed over him he whispered "Right as
always Natya....."
Mike Wikan
Game Design\Conceptual Art
n-Space, Inc.
A Producer of 3D Entertainment Software

Prev: StarGrunts II Squad generation points: leaders Next: Re: With a name like, "Full Thrustt"...