Prev: Re: Counters wanted Next: Re: Offer than off, was Re: even more off topic, Kryomek

Re: Counters wanted

From: Andy Skinner <askinner@a...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:16:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Counters wanted

Adrian Bruce wrote:

> What would people have in mind for DSII counters?
>
> 1" (2"?) square/round desert( or should that be in 2 backgrounds like
> geo-hex terrain?) background with miniatures sized vehicles on them?
>
> Just some Tanks, GEVs, Howizers, Powered Armour and VOTLs?
>
> In different colors, or just in shades of gray so you could flood fill
> the machines your own team colors?
>
> Just a single sheet like the Mike Wikan B5 counters?
>
> Is the sole purpose to turn the miniatures game into a boardgame and
> save all that money and trouble ( and space!!) on minis and terrain?

I have a system called Paper Minis.  I've got a PostScript library
allowing me to output PostScript text when I call functions for
drawing lines and such.  (I got the PostScript library from somewhere
else, but have simplified and adapted it a lot for my purposes.)
On top of that, I have a layer that lets me define a 3D shape and
"unfold" it onto a plane--a sheet of paper.  This can be drawn as an
outline, with solid lines for cutting and dashed lines for folding.
The unfolded shape can also be drawn with "decorations"--shaded boxes,
lines, circles, filled shapes, etc.

So I figure out what 3D vertices are needed, and figure out how to
connect them to give the shape I want and some tabs for holding
it together.  On an X system I can display the outline in 3D and
rotate it around to see what it looks like (wireframe drawing).
I design decorations for each face, using functions that normalize
the coordinate system for the face to something easy to do, so I don't
have to do math to find out where to draw stuff.  Then I output
PostScript, print it up, and cut it out.  I think it is a good idea
to copy it onto stiff colored paper--I used green and yellow.

I've got several tread chassis (never figured out the plural for that),
some hovers, a turret, an artillery piece, a little hover scooter, etc.
I was away from a UNIX with PostScript system for a while, but now that
I have access again, I may add to the collection.

The pieces I have so far may be found on Britt's FTP archive:

ftp://kewlaid.highfiber.com/pub/rpg/miniatures/Paper/

in a gzipped, tarred archive.

I think having these guys (plus some more, maybe) copied onto
two different colors of paper could get somebody started for cheap.

andy
askinner@avs.com

Prev: Re: Counters wanted Next: Re: Offer than off, was Re: even more off topic, Kryomek