Prev: Re: FT: Missiles and Gas Tanks Next: Re: Counters wanted

Background Poll response

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 08:16:50 -0400
Subject: Background Poll response

At 01:00 PM 7/19/97 -0400, Allan Goodall wrote:

>So, here's a quick poll:
>
>1) Do you REALLY care about the FT background? Are you really
interested in
>what happens to the ESU, NAC, etc. or is it just an excuse for a battle
and
>nothing more?
	I like a little background.  But I do not want to encounter what
White
Wolf does, where 1/10 of the book is rules and 9/10 is all mythology and
short stories written by authors that couldn't get published
elsewhere...

>2) Did you read the FT background stuff or did you ignore it?
	I read it because other players use them for their own forces.

>3) Do you use another background for your games (like Star Trek, Star
Wars,
>B5, homegrown)?
	I mostly use Star Wars and Babylon 5.

>4) Would you like to see the FT background enhanced, with a more
detailed
>timeline, in future supplements? If so, how many pages out of a typical
>sized rulebook would you be willing to give up to the background?
	A little won't hurt.  A lot will keep me from buying it if the
price rises
proportionally.  I might buy a seperate fiction book to read for fun, if
like what the authors do.

>5) Would you like to see some FT fiction?
	Yes.  see above.

>6) How "accurate" a background do you want? "I want a hard science
>background taking into effect things like AI development, genetic
>engineering, relativity, etc." or ""Star Wars was accurate enough for
me."
	Good fiction has good characters that work within internally
consistant
ideas.	Bad fiction either has no characters or poor  characters that
use
pseudo-tech to get out of trouble.
	Good games don't get too technical but have a good basis
(internal
consistancy) to make for a balanced game.

>7) Regardless of number 6, do you want to see guys in fighters, escorts
and
>fleet ships? "Don't bother too much about AI, it's men versus men or
men
>versus bugs that interest me."
	I like the game as it is without designating either.

>8) "Stop with the stupid science posts, already! This is just a game!"
	This is getting a little out of hand.  Once the arguments are
made, let
the thread die...  I've been guilty of Sado-Necro-Bestiality at times...

Prev: Re: FT: Missiles and Gas Tanks Next: Re: Counters wanted