Prev: Re: Counters wanted Next: Re: Wave, Nova, j-torps ... uberweapon imbalance?

Re: FT: M&GT 2

From: campbelr@p...
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:35:08 -0400
Subject: Re: FT: M&GT 2

Ok, I had to break this up into 2 messages, sorry.
Gerald: Missles in FT, (as appposed to Sub Munitons packs) are not
even close to AIM's of today. Due to rangees involved and realtive
velocities and such your looking at an FT missle being about Trident
sized to be even remotly effective. Sub munittons munitions would
probably  be about the size of a Phonix, if not bigger. (john: There
ought to be a rule on the effect of ADS/PDS's on them anyway, i'd
think as they can be intercepted. IMHO)  and both would use fuel to
preform "evasive" manuvers to try and throw off the defenses of the
target as well as manuvering for a hit.
One thing you stend to see in Anime is mass missle attacks, with
missles cork screwing through the sky. Though we don't do that, yet,
as it is too expensive, we have develope the sea/ground skimming
missle and the plunging attack to try and confuse the enmey defenses
for just the same purpose. The jist of this is the missles are
getting  bigger anyway as we need more fuel to	preform these
manuvers.
BTW: The official definitons are: Missles have guidence and
manuverability. Rockets are unguided. (Point and shoot)
The problem with, (as illustrated by the KV rail gun) just firing a
missle at high velociity and using a guidance motor for course
corrections is this is only a "short" range option. Granted an
Battle ship will never out run a missle, but at a range of several
thousand kilometers, your probable target location area is huge. It
would only take a few degrees off to be unable to close with and
damage the target. (Launch an ICBM at a carreir from say  the middle of
the US, you have to have a nuke just to have a chance of damaging
the thing, and without terminal guidance you have little chance of
that)
I know that FT has no set "range values" but just looking at the set
up I figure the ranges	have  to  be  pretty big. Wet Navy
examples tend to fall short when talking about a space battle no
matter how you define it.

Randy

Prev: Re: Counters wanted Next: Re: Wave, Nova, j-torps ... uberweapon imbalance?