Prev: Re: FT Novels (not directly FT Related) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)

Just a hunch...

From: Rodrick Campbell <rcampbell@u...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 17:20:21 -0400
Subject: Just a hunch...

Paul,

	No, I'm not from Cambell, CA. I live in the little backwask town

of Oil City, PA, birthplace of the oil industry. Woo Hoo!

Alan,

	I agree that this has been one of the more interesting
discussions (in the five days I've been reading them anyway). Although
it
is true that computers anr faster at sequential logic processing, I
haven't found one yet that can play a hunch or gets a gut feeling about
things. It will be a long time before any AI can make intuitive leaps of

logic.

	I think the ability of humans to make judgement calls without
complete information is one of their best assets in combat ( gaming
anyway, as I've never experienced real combat). We put one and one
together and sometimes get two, or one, or three, or one thousand...

	On the other hand some great military blunders have been made
due
to playing these hunches.

	Can AI ever really replace humans in these situations?

						Rodrick

Prev: Re: FT Novels (not directly FT Related) Next: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...)