Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Just a hunch...

Re: FT Novels (not directly FT Related)

From: Jonathan Davis <davis@a...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 16:43:47 -0400
Subject: Re: FT Novels (not directly FT Related)

ChanFaunce@aol.com wrote:

> Just picked up the new Honor Harrington novel by David Weber (In Enemy
> Hands). I've seen comments on other sf authors, any ideas on rules
conversion
> to the depictions of ship combat in this series?
>
> Chan Faunce

I've given some thought to the Honor Harrington series and a Full
Thrust rules conversion.  Some of the complexities of the Manitcore-
Haven universe would have to be modeled using a Newtonian movement
system as opposed to the Full Thrust movement system.

Max. ship acceleration is about 500G.
Energy weapon ranges are about 100,000 km.
Missile weapon ranges are about 1,000,000 km.

I've experimented with varying time and distance scales, assuming
that a 500G full acceleration would be about 5" of vector change
per turn.

Other rules would have to handle rolling a ship to present the
wedge walls.  A method of handling the varying ECM capabilities
could be done with a similar system of opposed die rolls as
in DS II.

A method of missile ammo would have to be used for record keeping.

One thing I've noticed... Ships don't last long at energy range.

Jon Davis
davis@albany.net

Prev: Re: AI in FT (was Re: Be gentle...) Next: Just a hunch...