Prev: Re: FTL capable fighters <<B5 Spoiler Alert, if you haven't even , seen season 1 and 2>> Next: Re: With a name like, "Full Thrustt"...

Re: FTL capable fighters - Reply

From: Phillip Atcliffe <P-ATCLIFFE@w...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:45:42 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL capable fighters - Reply

I have to go along with Mk here -- I _never_ use the fighter endurance
rules, for
one very simple reason: the endurance figure is just too short! Quite
apart from
the fact that any SF universe that I might want to simulate using FT
usually has
fighters that roam about for hours on end, I think that the limited
endurance
given in MT handicaps the fighters to too great an extent. I mean, IIRC
(and I
could be wrong here, because I haven't looked at those rules for some
time), by
the time that a CV launches all its fighters, the first groups out the
tubes have
hit "bingo" and have to make their way back! (Forget about Alpha
strikes, folks)
All of which is just not on, IMO.

I'd be more interested in fuel/endurance rules along the lines of those
discussed
some time ago: each class of ship (inc. fighters) has a fuel consumption
rating
per unit of thrust and a tank capacity. This way, a player can choose to
race
around the table guzzling fuel quickly, or move more sedately for a
longer time.
It would also allow large-scale fighter wings to assemble and attack en
masse,
and tankers/bases become vital fleet elements instead of mere targets.

Phil, cackling quietly because he's _finally_ managed to find the B5
Micromachines set with EF1 and the Narn "Dreadnaught" in it..!
"We gotta get out into Space,	     | A sentiment echoed by:
 If it's the last thing we ever do!" |	   Phil Atcliffe
   -- Return to the Forbidden Planet |	(p-atclif@uwe.ac.uk)