Prev: Re: Just wondering..... Next: Re: FTL capable fighters - Reply

Re: FTL capable fighters <<B5 Spoiler Alert, if you haven't even , seen season 1 and 2>>

From: She stands on things I can't understand <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:58:44 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL capable fighters <<B5 Spoiler Alert, if you haven't even , seen season 1 and 2>>

>> >I don't think the B5 fighters are considered as "short-range" in the
show,
>> >especially not when they are quite often referred to as "warships"
rather
>> >than "fighters". OK, so the bigger warships carry them and the term
>> >"fighter" is used often as well, but even so...
>
>> Actually, they have been referred to as 'short range' fighters, in
the show and
>> in the little merchandising that's out there. And Joe's called them
'short
>> range' fighters, too (though he *is* more a writer, not a
military-type person,
>> as has been demonstrated with his Omega 'destroyer'
battleship/carriers). I've
>> never heard 'em referred to as 'warships', though (least I can't
remember any
>> ep where they were).
>
>Two I can think of right now are the one where a freighter is attacked
by
>Raiders: "We'll send some warships...", whereupon two 'Furies are
>launched;  and the one where Sinclair's girlfriend is crashing and
G'Kar
>requests some "warships" to be sent to her aid - but the ships that do
>turn up are Frazis, not War Cruisers.

Good points; forgot about those two.

>> There was another season 4 ep where a squadron of 'Furies were sent
out
>> to deal with a....situation at another transfer station. They went
out,
>> dealt with the thing they had to deal with, and returned. Now unless
>> the transfer station they went to was *very* close by...
>
>Or hyper travel is very fast. Furies have been used to transport people

>from Earth to B5 on occasion (Bester, IIRC) :/

The Bester deal is unclear as to where his origins came in that ep. I
always
believed he was dropped off by a transport ship of some sort. Earth is
kinda
a long ways off - 2 or 3 days in hyperspace if I remember right (this
using
White Stars). I don't have the role-playing game with me right now, but
there
is a hyperspace travel map that details the distance 'tween Earth and
B5/Epsilon 3. I'll have to try and remember to look it up when I get
home.

Mk
-
"Yyyes ! Haha!! Tremble before the twin-headed, four-legged eleven foot
tall Engine of Justice that *is* Manuever 14B!"

Prev: Re: Just wondering..... Next: Re: FTL capable fighters - Reply