Prev: Re: FTL capable fighters <<B5 Spoiler Alert, if you haven't even , seen season 1 and 2>> Next: Re: Couple of Questions

Re: FTL capable fighters

From: She stands on things I can't understand <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:40:19 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL capable fighters

>> That, along with the
>> fact that these 'short-range' fighters seem to be able to traverse
most of
>> known space, and fight for extended periods of time makes me want to
just
>> not use the endurance rules any.
>
>I don't think the B5 fighters are considered as "short-range" in the
show,
>especially not when they are quite often referred to as "warships"
rather
>than "fighters". OK, so the bigger warships carry them and the term
>"fighter" is used often as well, but even so...

Actually, they have been referred to as 'short range' fighters, in the
show and
in the little merchandising that's out there. And Joe's called them
'short
range' fighters, too (though he *is* more a writer, not a military-type
person,
as has been demonstrated with his Omega 'destroyer'
battleship/carriers). I've
never heard 'em referred to as 'warships', though (least I can't
remember any
ep where they were).

>How long a time (in the B5 universe, not on the screen) did the longest

>battles involving Starfuries last? (Battle of the Line, or possibly
>Ivanova's little brawl with the Raiders - or something in Season 3 or
>later, which I wouldn't know about)?

(note: being somewhat vague with things below to protect spoilers for
those
who have not yet seen season 3/4 episodes)

There were a couple of protracted battles (at least one; I'll have to go
back
and rewatch the other one I'm thinking of to make sure) in season 3, and
one
fairly long one in season 4 where 'Furies were running around on their
own a
lot. Okay, granted, they could have had a supply carrier in the area,
but we
never saw it (such as the season 4 ep I'm thinking of, the 'Furies,
along with
other ships, all entered hyperspace together, and all were floating out
in
space together at their destination system). And, okay, granted, the
scales
being used *might* of a high enough ratio to argue for endurance usage,
but
it just doesn't *feel* right to me.

There was another season 4 ep where a squadron of 'Furies were sent out
to deal with a....situation at another transfer station. They went out,
dealt with the thing they had to deal with, and returned. Now unless the
transfer station they went to was *very* close by...

Mk
-
Daune: "How can you be asleep and getting ready at the same time?"

Indy: "I'm multi-tasking..."