Prev: Re: FT Novels Next: Re: FTL capable fighters

Re: FTL capable fighters <<B5 Spoiler Alert, if you haven't even , seen season 1 and 2>>

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:11:35 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL capable fighters <<B5 Spoiler Alert, if you haven't even , seen season 1 and 2>>

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, She stands on things I can't understand wrote:

> >> That, along with the
> >> fact that these 'short-range' fighters seem to be able to traverse
most of
> >> known space, and fight for extended periods of time makes me want
to just
> >> not use the endurance rules any.
> >
> >I don't think the B5 fighters are considered as "short-range" in the
show,
> >especially not when they are quite often referred to as "warships"
rather
> >than "fighters". OK, so the bigger warships carry them and the term
> >"fighter" is used often as well, but even so...

> Actually, they have been referred to as 'short range' fighters, in the
show and
> in the little merchandising that's out there. And Joe's called them
'short
> range' fighters, too (though he *is* more a writer, not a
military-type person,
> as has been demonstrated with his Omega 'destroyer'
battleship/carriers). I've
> never heard 'em referred to as 'warships', though (least I can't
remember any
> ep where they were).

Two I can think of right now are the one where a freighter is attacked
by
Raiders: "We'll send some warships...", whereupon two 'Furies are
launched;  and the one where Sinclair's girlfriend is crashing and G'Kar
requests some "warships" to be sent to her aid - but the ships that do
turn up are Frazis, not War Cruisers.

> There was another season 4 ep where a squadron of 'Furies were sent
out
> to deal with a....situation at another transfer station. They went
out,
> dealt with the thing they had to deal with, and returned. Now unless
> the transfer station they went to was *very* close by...

Or hyper travel is very fast. Furies have been used to transport people
from Earth to B5 on occasion (Bester, IIRC) :/

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FT Novels Next: Re: FTL capable fighters