Prev: Re: Berserkers in FT? Next: Re: SG - Confidence Levels

MZ Campaign report

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 02:47:58 -0400
Subject: MZ Campaign report

Lots of delays, but we finally managed to play a game despite the summer

holidays.

PanMa vs. GUGES

As ardent followers of this tripe may remember, the PanMa strike fleet
was limping towards Mercury after the "Bloody April" panzerfest with
AEUG. Left with wounded dreadnoughts and a whopping 2 panzers left, they

were hoping for solace and repairs at Mercury station, apparently
forgetting the GUGES fleet in position there.

Their mistake.

At first GUGES is reluctant to engage, unaware of the huge panzer losses

PanMa had suffered. The PanMans almost pull off the bluff, but GUGES
commander decides to risk a missile strike.

Good move, if a bit overcautious.

The GUGES DDGs come zipping in, accelerate to 40+ while circling the
slower PanMa force. PanMa manges to score a few hits with AA's.

A 12-missile salvo is launched, DDGs turn tail before ever coming to
A-batt range. Unable to evade, the valiant PanMa panzers drop 5
missiles,
the useless-as-usual *DAF's score one and the remaining 6 slam right
into
the gigadreadnought.

Had it not been already wounded, it might have survived, but now the
vast
hulk is engulfed in explosions and reduced to space dust.

PanMa turns tail, GUGES is hot in pursuit with his faster ships.

Notes: We played with centimeters this time. Basically it was a good
experience. 40+ speeds with inches would have been bloody impossible to
fit on the table. A few downsides though --

Range estimation is a bitch (no, we don't allow premeasuring)
ADAFs are even less useful than they usually are. I have somewhat large
models, and the "Spacefleet" style GW bases are nearly impossible to
place close enough to provide ADAF cover.

GUGES was IMHO a bit too cautious -- he's the only player with an intact

fleet (only one DD lost) and should have hammered before the PanMa force

can elude pursuit.

My prediction is that GUGES will come on top, IF he has the balls to
pursue his advantage and attack.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Berserkers in FT? Next: Re: SG - Confidence Levels