Prev: Re: Spinning in place... Next: Re: Berserkers in FT?

Re: Just wondering.....

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 02:17:15 -0400
Subject: Re: Just wondering.....

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> As long as the points cost reflects the poor designs, I don't mind...

IMHO, that's the point. If the point values are good, it just means a
change in tactics, and therefore the designs aren't truly inferior, as
the *game* comparisons must always be point-for-point, not
pound-for-pound (unless you use mass as a point system as some games do
:-)

I use "inferior" here to mean "not worth the cost". Even the best ship
in
the universe can be an inferior design if it's hideously overpriced.

Thus clarified, would anyone *buy* a product filled with knowingly
inferior designs, just for the flavor or maybe for the challange of it?

E.g. "I know the Xyzzys suck, but their ships look cool. They die with
panache! I like losing with style ('cause I can't win anyway)." or "I'll

play the Xyzzys so you might have a chance to win. I won't take a point
handicap so this would look more equal than it really is."

Maybe some would, but I don't think the market's too wide...

Thus as a designer you're faced with the hard task of inventing
something
new and different but equal, or simply raising the stakes and erring on
the side of making newer stuff superior.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Spinning in place... Next: Re: Berserkers in FT?