Prev: Re: Fighting KVs Next: Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs

Re: Superships and Fighter capacity.

From: Peggy & Jeff Shoffner <pshoffner@e...>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 15:12:33 -0400
Subject: Re: Superships and Fighter capacity.

> The simplest definition of a carrier was one posted here several weeks
ago,
> and is the one I think is best: Launch Controls.  We now use it at our
> Gaming Club.
>
> For each Launch Control on the ship, it can launch two fighter groups
per
> turn and can recover one.  If a ship doesn't have a Launch control it
can
> launch up to one group per turn, and recover one every second turn.
Launch
> Cons are purchased EXACTLY as per Fire Cons, and a ship can swap Fire
Cons
> it is supplied with for Launch Cons for free.
>
> This way you can trade off offensive capability for Fighter
Capability.
> Using this house rule I have a Fleet Carrier that has 3 Launch Cons,
NO Fire
> Cons, six fighter groups, two ADAF's, two PDAF's and two screens for
100
> Mass.  It sits up the back of the fleet guarded by other, more
offensive
> ships and is a fighter platform.  Its ADAF's can also provide cover
for the
> guarding ships.
>
> Makes for realistic fleet manouvers.
> Now ::THIS:: I like....  A carrier's main offensive and defensive
weapon is
supposed to be the fighters anyway.   Kill the batteries, have a few
fighters
hang back to protect the carrier, send the rest out to kill opponents.

How about we make one more change;  ADAFs and PDAFs work like the KV
scatterguns, (ie always hit for 1-6 "kills" against fighters ONLY) and
allow
fighters to move AFTER fleet movement.	That would take the sting out of

fighter squads, and allow the player better placement of this squads
against
cap ships.   Hmmmm.....  maybe not quite balanced, but I think it's
getting
there.....

Prev: Re: Fighting KVs Next: Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs