Prev: Re: Optimization ( was Re: Further re Oceanic Grav-bikes ) Next: Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs

Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs

From: Eric Fialkowski <erixlist@m...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 11:50:55 -0400
Subject: Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs

<SNIP>
>An interesting question -- one of many -- is whether or not the larger
powers
>would sell capital ships to the smaller nations, either before or after
the Kra'Vak

I think that they would sell "down rated" or older ships to the smaller
nations.  Kinda like what modern powers do.  You could replace a
batteries
with  a B and a submunition for example.

>appear. Just how big a ship would a small nation feel they needed, or
could
>afford? And what sort of fleet might a small nation have if they
>mixed-and-matched classes from different big powers? Would there be
>interoperability problems?

Smaller nations would probably lack the bigger ships.  Maybe even have a
fleet of frigates and destroyers with a token cruiser as their "big
guns".
Looking at a Jane's would give an idea of what current smaller navies
use
and could give an idea.

<SNIP>

>I note that Jon mentions in the latest FallOut -- and thanks for the
e-mail
>version, however accidental -- that we might see a big expansion in the
FT
>range. Dare we hope for UN and small nation ships?

I would like to see UN ships.  I think of them as not-so-minor of a
player
in the "official" history.  I also would like more merchant targets,
..er..eh.. ships, yeah merchant ships ;)

   +		 Eric Fialkowski	       +
  +    http://netnow.micron.net/~ericski      +

Prev: Re: Optimization ( was Re: Further re Oceanic Grav-bikes ) Next: Re: Smaller Nations' ship and fleet designs