Prev: RE: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt) Next: Re: Improvised Turn Guages.

Re: Conversions (Stargrunt)

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@d...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:54:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Conversions (Stargrunt)

Alfredo Lorente wrote:
> The Excalibur has two huge cannons for arms, two sets of 22 or 24
> missiles each on its torso, a weapon pod underneath each missile rack
> (SAW, Grenade Launcher and flamer), and a six missile rack on its
> right shoulder.  I figured the robot would therefore have two GMS/L
> (4), one GMS/H (4), six Infantry Support Weapons (5 points, since the
> first one is free), and two DFFG (15 each, since they can move around
> as is in a turret).  That adds up to 43 points, which is 18 points
> over the maximum.  If I assume the DFFG are fixed mounts and it is
> the ARMS that move, the rating goes down to 33.  To make the numbers
> match I have to reduce the DFFG's to 3 and assume they are in a fixed
> mount.  Some people might think the torso is a turret, tho', and I
> kinda guess you'd plop the biggest gun available on such a monster,
> not some middle of the road affair...

You're overkilling.  Check the DSII construction rules for walker
vehicles; they take Fixed Forward weapon space cost and get partial
rotate (front 180o) for free.  That said, you're interpreting the design
/too/ literally to construct it properly.

The Excalibur, taken as a SIZE 5 vehicle, has 25 spaces (and a signature
of a SIZE 6).  I'd give it ARMOUR of 3, since Destroids blow up so
crunchy-like.  The cannons don't really qualify as DFFGs, I'd give it
gang-mounted HKP/4s (in the arms) with ENHANCED FC.  The rate of missile
fire it lays down doesn't really qualify it for multiple missile
launchers (since a single GMS shot could very well represent an entire
volly from either of the missile racks (indistinguishable because
DSII/SGII doesn't have individually targetable weapon systems for
damage), so would just give it a single GMS/H instead.	The multiple
pods are probably worth 2x APSW mounts, reasonably cheap.

Given this layout (and Andy's handy online design system), we end up
with:

Excalibur

Equipment Item				   VSP : BVP	 Spaces   Cost
Vehicle, class 5			    25 :  0	     25     25
Armor class 3				    25 : 40	     25     40
Fusion Generation Plant 		    25 : 40	     25     64
Combat Walker				    25 : 40	     25    104
2 class 4 HKP's in Fixed mount		    25 : 40	      9    184
   with Enhanced fire control		    25 : 40	      9    200
1 GMS/H with Basic guidance		    25 : 40	      5    230
2 APSW's				    25 : 40	      4    234

... which would seem to mirror things a bit more /and/ fit inside the
rules without so much stretching.

> Am I obsessing?  If I showed up at your place with my set-up, would
> you accept it as valid, even though the math is totally screwed up?
> Any home rules on how to deal with Combat Walkers?

Don't need them, see above.

> (To keep the message short, the same problems arise with the Raidar X
> - two Laser Cannons on each arm, plus two missile packs on the
> shoulders - the math doesn't match the model...)

Given similar design specs, try this:

Raidar-X

Equipment Item				   VSP : BVP	 Spaces   Cost
Vehicle, class 5			    25 :  0	     25     25
Armor class 3				    25 : 40	     25     40
Fusion Generation Plant 		    25 : 40	     25     64
Combat Walker				    25 : 40	     25    104
2 class 4 HEL's in Fixed mount		    25 : 40	      9    200
   with Enhanced fire control		    25 : 40	      9    216
2 GMS/L's with Basic guidance		    25 : 40	      5    256
Local air defence			    25 : 40	      3    331

I gave it LAD to represent its air-defence capabilities and twin-GMS's
to represent the somewhat greater reliance on missile attacks that the
Raidar-X has as a backup weapon; if you use house rules on missiles
engaging airborne targets, its a frightening powerhouse for air-defense
and is a danger at long-range to any vehicular targets it can spot.  Its
horribly huge signature is a nasty drawback, though.  It has /no/ APSW,
notice; you'll want to deploy it with organic infantry or anti-infy
support.

--
[  Alexander Williams {thantos@alf.dec.com/zander@photobooks.com}  ]
[ Alexandrvs Vrai,  Prefect 8,000,000th Experimental Strike Legion ]

Prev: RE: Close Assault and Scenario (Stargrunt) Next: Re: Improvised Turn Guages.