Prev: RE: Gaming Advice Wanted, Visiting London and Cambridge Next: RE: Dirtside questions/ideas...

Know your mail program

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 05:44:38 -0400
Subject: Know your mail program

On Wednesday, June 11, 1997 10:22 AM, Alun Thomas
[SMTP:alun.thomas@cbis.com]
wrote:
> Allan Goodall wrote:
> >
> Argh !
> I've come to really hate Lotus Notes over the last 6 or 7
> months - any idea what causes this file to be attached,
> so I can avoid doing it myself ?
>
> Unfortunatly, I'm forced to use Notes :-(
>
> Alun.

This is on topic given the disruption these things cause to the list in
general, here is some things I'd like to share.

Beware Microsoft Exchange/Outlook, this is what I use and you can quite
easily send huge attached files of your mail message in pretty RTF or
MS Word for all those unix/VMS mailers to barf on.

There is a patch from the MS web site to make it behave correctly for
internet mail (MS assumes everyone is using their lovely software for
'net-working') like quoting a reply with '>' (how novel) and setting the
line
length to a fixed number of characters (VMS mailers used to truncated
the
un-wrapped junk sent).

Also don't use the 'MS Word editor to compose messages' option and
remove the
check box that says 'always send in RTF format' to avoid a nasty
attachments
being sent to everyone.

I expect the Lotus Notes problems are a result of the same kind
application
centric attitude that MS has, as they are in direct competition. There
is
probably a patch or option somewhere to turn this junk off, look in the
Lotus
web site FAQ's etc. or phone their support desk.

Sincerely
Tim Jones

Hoping this message from MS outlook isn't full of cr*p

Prev: RE: Gaming Advice Wanted, Visiting London and Cambridge Next: RE: Dirtside questions/ideas...