Prev: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing. Next: re: FTIII: "me too" cards & order of battle

RE: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

From: M Hodgson <mkh100@y...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 05:11:57 -0400
Subject: RE: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing.

> <snip>
> Very interesting post - with good analysis. How do you remember where
the
> cards in order are? Doesn't it rely on a lot of card turning looking
for the
> Jack say, like the childhood game of pairs?

This is indeed a problem.  Normally people can remember where they have
placed the first few cards and the last few cards, but once you get up
10+ ships remembering where the 6 is can be a pain.  We played by
allowing
players to look at there own cards at any time, which allows players to
keep ahead of the iniative, and doesn't slow gameplay down too much.

Another alternative proposed by a player here in York is to turn all
card
at once at the start of the turn.  Hence you know the firing order for
all
ships (which may affect your target selection), but you never have to
hunt
the card.  We haven't tried this one yet.

> (I might create a set of firing cards (base on my card generation
technology)
>  these could be smaller than a playing card. What should the cards say
on the
> face [Firing Order 1,2 etc.], Whats an optimal size?)

I still like hidden firing, so I would simply put a pretty pattern on
the
face.  I've been toying with making some counters myself out of citadel
slota-bases (tm).  These are heavy enough (especially if you fill them
with lead/putty etc.  to not get blown away, but small enough to not get
in the way.

Yet another variation would be to only have say 6 cards.  These ships
fire
in order as described above.  Remainig ships with no cards then fire as
in
normal FT2.

-Michael

Prev: Re: FTIII: A Plea to End "Me Too" Firing. Next: re: FTIII: "me too" cards & order of battle