Prev: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder Next: DS2: Battletech Conversion (long)

Star Grunts Point System -- the Reason Why

From: DirtSider@a...
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 19:53:53 -0400
Subject: Star Grunts Point System -- the Reason Why

The only reason I want a points system, for any game, is so I can figure
out
how to integrate the forces into a campaign game.  I need some way of
judging
(for potentially a large group of people) how many soldiers, tanks,
ships,
etc. they can produce/train/field based on their national economy.

An actual game would have nothing to do with points.  Players who get
lots of
hi-tech troops to a critical point at the right time are going to beat
the
snot out of an opponent whose strategic thinking isn't up to par.  That
said,
the campaign is no way to play "fun" games to introduce someone to the
hobby.
 Most, if not all games will be heavily unbalanced, yet the loser may be
able
to declare a strategic victory because he held back the hordes/gained
time/etc.  But that won't be apparent on the table.

OTOH, we do have a set of standards indicating maximum allowable force
compositions that prevent a very powerful player from totally
overwhelming a
less powerful one.  But it all fits within the context of the campaign
--
there's a reason for it.

But without a points system, there simply is no convenient way to allow
players to build troops in our campaign context.

Prev: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder Next: DS2: Battletech Conversion (long)