Prev: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder Next: GZG

Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder

From: stuart@m... (Stuart Ford)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 15:36:07 -0400
Subject: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder

>  No, but when he stated that he had already written it in a language
>that most of the people here could use and that he was now porting it
>to a less useful (for us as a group) form, it seemed like a step
>back.	Luckily ship design protrams are pretty easy to write so there
>are a bunch of them around.  Actually I get the feeling they're not
>used as much as they might be.

It has always been on my list to complete my JAVA version, the current
version I have now is an Application, not an Applet.  The only reason
i'm
creating a Windows version first is to test out my new development
environment.

>@:)* A graphic output for the completed ship, in BMP or GIF (GIFs are
>@:) more web friendly, but I could use the BMPs in my VB4.0 apps).
>@:) This was originally Eric Fialkowski's suggestion, but it's
>@:) important enough to bear repeating.
>
>  This would be cool but it is VERY HARD.  I'm not sure people are
>really grasping the hardness factor involved here.  A ship design
>program is a day's work but this thing would require significantly
>more effort.  It's not impossible by any means, but it's tough.  Also
>it might produce ships that only appeal to the tastes of particular
>people, and not to others.

This is something else I would love to support, and have been thinking
on
ways to produce the images.  More than likely, you would have to drag
and
arrange the systems to fit your own needs.  It would be quite easy to
make
a large number of general hull outlines available.

>@:) * A seperate, editable weapon/equipment database so that different
>@:) components can be changed to accomodate house rules and new
>@:) equipment.  What would be great is if these could be given
>@:) different names, so I could draw from different databases for
>@:) different campaigns or races.

This is on the drawing board as well.

Stuart Ford

Prev: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder Next: GZG