Prev: Re: FTF Standard File Formats for PBEM/Utilities Next: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder

Re: Star Grunts Point System (Beware flame war erupting...)

From: Gary Ballard <gdaddy@m...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 13:27:30 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Grunts Point System (Beware flame war erupting...)

Alex Williams wrote:

[something I won't even repeat here]

Apparently Alex, you feel that I agree with the GW argument of stick to
your army. I don't. It is an interesting idea to switch off armies, and
probably a great way to get people at a con into a game, by letting them
play a variety of sides. What I was saying is that to Hardcore GW
gamers, that idea doesn't wash, and it seems that lots of the people
intent on running SGII games at cons are attempting to convert GW
gamers.

The idea I'm taking exception with is that this is a Full
Thrust/DSII/SGII mailing list, and all too often when the
points/non-points argument crops up, the first thing most people against
the points argument seem to wish to do is bash GW. I don't need to hear
that. I don't swallow everything GW does. My GW armies are mostly
complete, so thank God I don't have to. But I do enjoy the game, and I
like the background and I like the points systems used, even though it
does fall apart in some areas. Flawed maybe, but not broken.

Stop using GW as a scapegoat for your arguments. Anyone who's ever dealt
with GW knows their flaws, and I'm tired of hearing them repeated as an
excuse to canonize Jon Tuffley. Yes, Jon has made good games, but he's
not the only one, and GW isn't the only company making mini's that
gouges the market. FASA's BTech comes to mind, and hey we have
Heartbreaker now(but at least they are cheaper). It's easy to bash GW to
prove your points, and I for one have never liked hitting easy targets.
Takes all the fun out of arguing.

Gary A. Ballard
gdaddy@misnet.com

Prev: Re: FTF Standard File Formats for PBEM/Utilities Next: Re: Windows 95 & NT Ship Builder