Prev: RE: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together. Next: Re: FT III Wishlist

Re: DG2: Tougher AFV

From: Brendan Pratt <pratt@m...>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 04:39:35 -0400
Subject: Re: DG2: Tougher AFV

Brian Bell wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am looking to convert another gaming system to DS2. In this game I
need
> to make a group of Armored Fighting Vehicles's tougher than normal
AFV's.
> I see a couple of ways to do this. I would like input as to which is
the
> best and most consistant way to handle this.
>
> 1) Ignore armor maximums. This way I could add a higher level of armor
> than the maximum rating equal to the vehcile size. Under this rule I
> could make the armor equal to 1 or 2 higher than the actual size of
the
> vehcile. Thus a size 3 vehicle could have level 4 or 5 armor. This
would
> not make the vehicle harder to hit, but harder to damage. However, I
was
> hoping to do a more direct armor conversion.
>
> 2) Reduce the effective signature of the vehicle. While this would
work,
> it does not match the vehicle discriptions or background.
>
> 3) Add an extra die (d6 or d8) to defence. This would be as if the
> vehicle had soft cover when it does not or was evading when it is not.
> This seems to be the most consistant with the way to make targets
harder
> to damage.
>
> 4) Ignore chits of a particular value (ie. ignore all '1' chits or
ignore
> all '3' chits.)
>
> 5) Ignore the first chit of value 3. Ie. if a strength 3 weapon draws
> 3,1,3 it would inflict an attack strength of 4. If the player draws
2,2,2
> it would inflict an attack value of 6.
>
> 6) Something that I didn't think of.
I heartily agree, I have been playing DS2 since it was released, and my
one complaint is that AFVs' are too darn easy to KO - the rest of the
rules I like and the few glitches I am happy to write off for game
playability, but I generally find tanks to be very easy to neutralise,
even with relatively light weapons - I do like #5 above - it would make
tanks a little more survivable (IMHO).

Brendan

--
Brendan Pratt - pratt@macquarie.matra.com.au - Complete Bastard.
"I always said you could get more with a kind word - and a two by four

Prev: RE: Star Grunt 2 : Whenit finaly comes together. Next: Re: FT III Wishlist