Prev: Re: A couple of Questions about Dirtside II Next: Re: A couple of Questions about Dirtside II

Re: SDI: Split Unit

From: Paul Calvi <tanker@r...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 18:34:41 -0400
Subject: Re: SDI: Split Unit

Brian,

I think you're misunderstanding what a unit is. A UNIT, as defined in
DS2,
is a maneuver element of a size determined by your sci-fi setting.
Assuming
something close to modern standards, then a tank UNIT would be a platoon
of
four to five tanks. You could not split the UNIT (without becoming
disorganized). Of course a modern tank platoon of four tanks actually
operates as two elements of two (not to be confused with a DS2 ELEMENT),
so
there is nothing saying you couldn't make your DS2 tank UNITS only two
tanks. The only time you would have a tank UNIT of ten tanks is if you
were
simulating a very rigid tactical doctrine (similar to modern Warsaw Pact
doctrine).

Hope this helps.

Paul

At 04:48 PM 5/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
> I just bought DSII and went quickly through the rules. Is there any
way to
>split a unit without it becomming DISORGANIZED?
> In case I am not clear, start with a large unit of 10 Heavy Tanks. Is
>there a way to send 5 of the tanks in a pincher to the left and 5 of
the
>tanks in a pincher to the right?
> If there is not, why would you not start with 10 units of 1 tank each?
>
>Brian Bell

-----
Paul J. Calvi Jr.
tanker@rahul.net

"Objective, Offense, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command,
Security, Surprise, Simplicity"

15SEP16

Prev: Re: A couple of Questions about Dirtside II Next: Re: A couple of Questions about Dirtside II