Prev: Re: Missile Question Next: Re: SDI: Split Unit

Re: A couple of Questions about Dirtside II

From: "You're an annoying bunch...but you're cute." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 18:08:23 -0400
Subject: Re: A couple of Questions about Dirtside II

>> How about (D), resolve barrage as normal and THEN Firer System's out?
>> think the rounds have already left the tubes by the time the rounds
land so
>> any results won;t affect THIS attack.
>
>Considering that direct fire weaponry resolves the hit as never having
>landed, my model seems to fit what was implied.  Also, you'll note that
>I said further shells don't get resolved; there very well may be
>preevious targets that suffered damage from this barage.  The shells
>already left the tube, the Firer Systems Down turning up seems to imply
>to me that some problems occured during the firing.

I can live with the fact that if you draw a 'Firer Systems Down' chit
during damage allocation from artillery means your artillery barrage
didn't do nuthin' but go 'phut' at that point (if you get this chit
in a multiple-target barrage, from that point out I'd say nothing else
hit and the artillery gun/cannon/rack/what-have-you goes 'phut').

Now to a question I saw someone ask long ago (last year sometime I
*think*)
but never saw a good answer to: how do you resolve GMS/*'s? The
missile(s)
in question has to go through a few checks (eg, ECM and anti-air) before
it
impacts. Having the launching system go 'phut' during the damage
allocation
phase (assuming the missile hit) seems to be a bit of backtracking.

And like I said, I never saw an 'official' answer to this, so what we
decided to do was allow the missile to continue through it's attack as
normal and then having the launching platform no longer be able to
launch missiles from that launcher. This prolly isn't the way it's
supposed to or meant to be done, but...

I suppose you could say the missile in question turns out to be a dud
and 'just impacted on the surface' of the target, doing no damage. But
that still allows the firing platform to launch another volley next
turn.

*shrug*  Well, if anyone has any insights, I'm all ears (or eyes, as the
case may be in this medium)

Mk
---
If the conquest of a great peak brings moments of exultation and bliss,
which in the monotonous, materialistic existence of modern times nothing
else can approach, it also presents great dangers.  It is not the goal
of
*grand alpinisme* to face peril, but it is one of the tests one must
undergo to deserve the joy of rising for an instant above the state of
crawling grubs.
				       -Lionel Terray, 1965

Prev: Re: Missile Question Next: Re: SDI: Split Unit