Prev: Missile Question Next: Re: A couple of Questions about Dirtside II

Re: Silly DS2 Q for Jon

From: Paul Calvi <tanker@r...>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 15:59:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Silly DS2 Q for Jon

Well that brings up another question for Jon: Is the smallest infantry
UNIT
in DS2 the squad or the platoon?

Paul

At 02:01 PM 5/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>As I read the rules, any unit can be made up of any number of elements,
>effectively making a unit anything from a single squad (which really
>contains 8 individual element men which can't maneuver seperately) to a
>squad made up of four fireteam units, each of which is made up of two
>man elements.	Its a trade off between flexibility and power.
>
>The larger units have the advantage of taking /fewer/ morale checks,
>overall, because they don't check as often (or as badly) for each
>element/man lost therein.  Of course, they only get one Activation per
>turn, but when they unload fire, it'll be effective in the main.
>
>If you're going to be doing infantry-heavy actions, you may want to
pick
>up the StarGrunt II rules; the scale is much less abstracted therein
and
>the division of squads into units and elements is a bit more flexible.

-----
Paul J. Calvi Jr.
tanker@rahul.net

"Objective, Offense, Mass, Economy of Force, Maneuver, Unity of Command,
Security, Surprise, Simplicity"

15SEP16

Prev: Missile Question Next: Re: A couple of Questions about Dirtside II