Prev: Re: Re[2]: How to kill base 101 or rock can kill everything :) Next: Re: Sand

MZ Campaign report 2

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 06:23:35 -0400
Subject: MZ Campaign report 2

A rather uninteresting week, mainly because two players didn't send in
their orders in time.

Norwegians detach a cloaked squadron towards Mercury. The main group
heads the same wqay, but somewhat slower. Additional reinforcements, the

three Royal Norn -klass nedrymdkryssare Urd, Belldandy and Skuld make
their way to Mercury too.

Norwegians bombard PanMa ground stations on Mercury.

AEUG fleet passes Mars and is headed insystem too.

PanMa survivors from the battle with Norway forget their orders and head

outsystem... a few days later an Ensign 7th class notes their error and
they begin to decelarate.

This is perhaps fortunate, since it causes the GUGES fleet hot in
pursuit
to miss them.

Meanwhile, the small missiledestroyer segment of PanMa fleet finds
itself
between the AEUG and the Norwegians. A battle ensues.

We use a new mid-range system I devised, mainly to handle disengagements

and encirclings better. It's very simple but seems preferable to just
guessing.

The forces mill about, but the only combat contact happens when half the

PanMa DDGs sneak in an attack against the AEUG carrier force. They set
up
across the table, with PanMa coming in with maximum velocity (10+Thrust,

house rule) allowed. They accelerate while AEUG launches panzers.

AEUG beam fire damages one DDG, but only superficial hits are scored.

The next turn PanMa drops missiles, 12 of them, and accelerates. He is
off the board now. AEUG launches more panzers, and the missiles strike.
Panzers drop 10 missiles, combined *DAFs from carriers and escorts drop
1
(ONE) and the remaining one strikes the flagship rolling...

2 points of damage! Bummer.

PanMa manages to disengage.

Notes: The mid-range system seems good enough. It's just that it IS very

hard to force Thr8 ships to fight. Or even Thr6 ones.

The missile clash demonstrated the superiority of interceptors in
anti-missile work. If this house rule hadn't been in effect, at least
one
carrier would have been history.

Carriers are vulnerable when launching, but if they don't launch,
they're
pretty useless.

Coming in with maximum allowed speed and accelerating away, a Thrust 8
ship can almost cross halfway across table in turn one. I'm not sure if
this will prove to be a major problem.

All in all, not a very satisfactory battle, but what can you expect when

one side is composed entirely of missiletubs, and outnumbered heavily?
Slash & Run is what you get.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Re[2]: How to kill base 101 or rock can kill everything :) Next: Re: Sand