Prev: Re: Hitting planets with comets Next: Postings and Manners

Re: ZADs??? & DSII assistant application

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 04:19:04 -0400
Subject: Re: ZADs??? & DSII assistant application

>I've recently started working on design specs for an application that
will
>assist play of DSII (and later I hope to add in stuff from SGII and
FT/MT,
>but one step at a time).  I've been reviewing the material in DSII, and
>seemed to be confused a little about ZADs (Zone Air Defence).	I hope
I'm
>not re-iterating something that's been brought up before - sorry if I
am,
>but I can't seem to find any mention of cost or space requirements for
this
>system.
>
>Is ZAD an extension of the ADS system, there is mention of ADS several
>paragraphs latter on page 42 in the Air Defense section?
>
>There is mention in paragraph six of the above mentioned page that [...
>vehicle-mounted Point Defence Systems may NOT engage aircraft...], I'm
>assuming that this definitely means PDS systems can't be used, but does
this
>also carry over to ADS systems.  I realize the answer may be obvious to
many
>of you, but I wanted to clearify this, as it would be a pain in the
rear end
>to find out that this wasn't the case after I've coded things up for
the Mac
>and possibly Win32.
>
>Thank you for your time,
>
>Kevin Walker
>sage@millcomm.com
>
>P.S.  In the interest of making this application (if I ever finish it)
>useful to others, the first part of this app will pick damage chits.
Would
>anyone find it useful if you were allowed to edit the chit mix that was
>used, allowing the new mix to be saved if desired?  Included would be a
way
>to recover the original chit mix, plus a warning/title that informs the
>current user of which chit mix is being used.

Kevin -
Sorry for the confusion - which arises from the (probably unnecessary,
in
hindsight) use of two terms, ZAD and ADS, for what is essentially the
same
thing. Yes, ADS can engage aircraft, up to 36" range; it can also engage
missiles up to 12". Essentially, ZAD is a "role" - ADS is the system
that
performs that role. PDS are small systems optimised for antimissile use,
and cannot function as either LAD or ZAD roles.
Hope this clears it up.

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Hitting planets with comets Next: Postings and Manners