Prev: Re: Another POINTless Argument (was Re: Scatterguns and SMPs... and PDAF) Next: Re: Planetary Forces (was Anti-Grav)

Star Blazers Game Demo

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 00:52:28 -0400
Subject: Star Blazers Game Demo

Hello Everyone:
	I went done to the local game store for my bi-weekly game of
Full
Thrust.  However, I received a pleasant surprise which modified my
plans.	Keith Johannsen, the guy who makes the Star Blazers minis, was
running a demo of his SB game. The FT players immediately switched over
to the demo.  We played an EDF vs. Comet Empire.
	Here's a quick rundown:
	Star Blazers is played on a hex map.  Movement is takes inertia
into
account, but movement is non-newtonian.  The faster a ship's velocity,
the harder it is to turn a ship.  Ships move first then fighters.  Ships
can make 60 degree turns and slipsides.
	Combat is handled with d10s.  First comes fighter
attacks/anti-fighter
combat, then Missile and Torpedo fire, then gun (lasers, shock cannons,
etc.), finally we turn loose the super weapons (wave motion guns,
magna-flame cannons, etc.).  The weapons do a lot of damage and it is
common that a warship could be destroyed in a single turn.  (My
Andromeda II took a salvo of 30 missile attacks, followed by a blast
from a magna-flame gun for over 120 damage points.  Needless to
say....BOOM!)  Fighters are quite nasty.  Two squadrons of my bombers
did a total of 34 points of damage against a Comet BB causing major
crits.
	An interesting note is on the wave guns are that they are more
of a
direct-fire weapon than an area effect weapon.	 Any ships that are in
the target hex takes the same amount of damage, which is allot. (the
base score for my ships wave gun is 3d6+30!)  This primarily due to the
fact that each hex represents 10,000 square miles and the reported blast
radius of the wave gun is about 200 miles.
	All in all it was a very fun game.  Quick, easy, with a lot of
stuff
going BOOM!  I think you guys would like it.

Later,
Mark S.