Prev: Re: GZG catalogue Next: SG2: Cavalry in SG2

Re: Fighters or Bricks?

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:27:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Fighters or Bricks?

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Brian Bell wrote:

> Corvettes are x2 the cost. 3/4 speed. 1/3 damage potential. 1/2 *DAF
damage
> potential. And 1/2 damage points.
>
> This explaines why Fighter groups need anoter limiting factor such as
> endurance.

Well, basically I agree, but it would be fairer to compare with
a non-FTL corvette. Let's say: M6, T8, 1 PDAF, 1 A (3 arcs), 40pts.
(Yes, this is supposed to be a cheesy design).

The corvette now outranges the fighters by 30". Even the std corvie
outranges them by 6". At fighter ranges, it averages half the fighter
group's damage.

Also, the fighter group isn't going anywhere without a carrier.
You should figure in at least part of the carrier's cost. Following my
mass-vs-points formula, this adds 30pts. to the fighters' real price.

For pure short term striking power, the fighter group is more powerful.
But it falls behind in versatility. Let's face it: The tiny ships like
corvettes are not there for their amazing combat potential. They're
there
to scout, form pickets etc. etc. All very important tasks which can not
be performed by fighters, but unfortunately underrepresented in the
typical slugfest matchup.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: GZG catalogue Next: SG2: Cavalry in SG2