Prev: Re: Jerks in Full Thrust Next: Re: Sensor Rules

Re: Maximizing ship designs

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:56:51 -0500
Subject: Re: Maximizing ship designs

Chad Taylor writes:
@:) I write:
@:) > [ should you only buy ships with only 3-arc A batteries? ]
@:) > If so, optimization is a problem.
@:)
@:) The only problem I have with the design above is that it is
@:) boring.  There is very little maneuver from such a fleet.

  I agree with you completely.	So if boring is bad, and if a fleet of
boring ships is the best fleet that can ever be made, optimization is
a problem in FT.  I don't think it's as bad as that, but I do think
certain weapons, like A batteries, make more sense to use than others,
and I think that certain weapons, like needle beams, make less sense
to use.  It would be nice if each weapon were different but in some
way equal to all the others.  Same thing with ship classes.  Obviously
this is quite difficult, though, and I don't expect it will be
completely possible.  The question right now is whether things are so
unbalanced that it doesn't even make sense to use the less capable
weapons, systems or size classes.

-joachim

Prev: Re: Jerks in Full Thrust Next: Re: Sensor Rules