Prev: Re: PBEM Next: Re: Dirtside II

Re: Vector movement

From: Oerjan Ohlson <f92-ooh@n...>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:50:08 -0500
Subject: Re: Vector movement

Some thoughts:

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Daryl Poe wrote:

> 1) I use the main drive for both thrust and rotation.

IMO this gives either very clumsy, or very maneuvrable ships depending
on
your thrust rating. Also, depending on the ship design, it can be more
or
less realistic. <shrug>

> 2) I hate it when I have to ask another player a question whose answer
>    should be obvious, like "how fast are you going?".  So I made a
>    bunch of counters with various speeds and an arrow printed on them.
>    These serve as visual aids as well as the placeholder when
executing
>    movement.

This is even more true for the original movement rules. Yes, it's a
pain;
good idea.

> 8) For correct physics, you'd want to handle angular momentum too.

I simplified this by stating that a turn of X clock facings included
both
the first impulse to start the rotation and the second to stop it.
Spinning ships were hard to maneuver <g>

> 9) I make missiles move at least 6" each turn so they don't "park"
>    if they're disrupted by ECM.

If a missile is disrupted it continues on it's vector... vectorial
missile movement isn't any harder than vectorial fighter movement.
<shrug>

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry