Prev: Re: Vector movement Next: Re: Micro Machines

Re: Vector movement

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 07:46:10 -0500
Subject: Re: Vector movement

In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.970321182617.20023B-100000@swob.dna.fi> you
wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>
> > It is far more difficult to figure out where you're going to end up
with
> > the "old" FT rules, and (at least for me :/ ) neigh on impossible to
get
> > to where I want to be <g>
>
> Not really. Your turning radius is roughly r = 2v/p, where v is your
> velocity and p is the points you put into turning.

And that's easier? I find vector movement much easier to work
out than FT movement, since the latter is so unnatural.

> Correcting mistakes under FT system is easier: You can always "slam
> brakes and hard turn" whereas a ship under Newtonian movement must
> first spin to correct facing before they really do anything about
> anything. Depending on the amount of spinning allowed, this might take

> over a turn, essentially giving you a "moving target" to shoot for.

That's the fun of vector movement - you have the choice between
getting there fast, and taking forever to get home again, or
moving in slowley. Under FT, you can head in towards the enemy
at 30"/turn, and then turn around and be coming back home at
30"/turn within two turns (assuming 6"/turn or more thrust). It's
all a bit silly and limits your options (there's not that much
advantage in keeping slow, since it's so easy to turn).

--
Be seeing you,					     ARM not Intel.
Sam.					       Acorn not Microsoft.

Prev: Re: Vector movement Next: Re: Micro Machines