Prev: Re: Dirtside II Next: Re: Dirtside II

Re: Stargrunt WW2

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@s...>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 11:49:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Stargrunt WW2

At 07:39 PM 3/16/97 +1000, Darryl Hills wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I was wondering if anyone has come up with any adaptions for a WWII
version
of Stargrunt II?

I've had this message in my in basket for almost a week, hoping someone
would reply.

Actually, I've been thinking about WWII and Modern Stargrunt. I haven't
done
any conversions myself but it shouldn't be too difficult. There have
been a
number of conventional and WWII conversions for Dirtside 2. Those would
make
a good start for designing WWII Stargrunt vehicles.

As for the units themselves, I've been looking at the squad set ups in
the
Avalon Hill game _Up Front_. In UF, German squads are ten men in size,
while
American tend to be 12 men, all the way up to French (or was it Italian)
at
about 16 men.

What I haven't decided is if the typical WWII squad should be split into
two
Stargrunt squads. For instance, in UF the unit is typically split into a
4
man maneuver group and a 6 man fire group (or vice versa). Should a ten
man
German squad be a ten man Stargrunt 2 squad, or two Stargrunt squads?
Should
the 6:4 ratio be maintained or should the player be free to find his own
balance?

Any comments, anyone?

I'm planning to use Up Front stats, and maybe ASL stats, to come up with
standard WWII squads. British morale should be high, but leadership
should
be average (or less). German morale and leadership should both be high
(at
least up to late 1944 battles). Russian morale should be average and
leadership should be below average. French and Italian morale should be
low
and leadership should be low (although if you want a difference, give
Italians low morale and average leaders and French average morale and
low
leaders). American units should be average/average. Japanese units
should be
high morale and average (or even low) leadership.

Note that the above should be adjusted for elite units (the occasional
Italian unit, for instance, could have high/high).

I hope this helps, and I'd like to hear from others who have tried this.

Allan Goodall:	agoodall@sympatico.ca
 I'm riding high upon a deep depression.

Prev: Re: Dirtside II Next: Re: Dirtside II