Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Re: My opinion on Sa'Vasku models Next: Re: Nuclear Pumped Laser Missiles

Re: Dirtside II Damage Chits

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:42:20 -0500
Subject: Re: Dirtside II Damage Chits

>This message is for the folks at GZG or anyone else who has an answer.
As I
>get deeper into counting threory I'm getting more and more disturbed by
the
>chit system used in DSII for assessing damage.  As you draw more chits
the
>number remaining in the bowl gets smaller and so the chances start to
get
>squewed as you draw them.  Now the rules say that you should remix the
chits
>after each activation, but for those vehicles with a lot of weapons or
a very
>high weapons rating, they get the benefit of the squew while the others
>suffer.
>  The alternative is to re-mix after every draw, truly anoying...  So
for now
>I use a unpunched group and roll 1d20 and 1d8 as a grid.  However I
think it
>would be much better if GZG created a new chart using percentile dice.
>would love to get a copy of such an animal.
>  Phil P.

Phil,
Some people like the chit system in DSII, some don't: we liked it, which
is
why it is there; IMHO it is easier and more fun than consulting tables,
which is one specific thing we tried to avoid in DSII wherever possible.
Sure, you can do a dice chart if you want, and I guess many players have
done so already; we don't have one, but I'm sure someone on the list
will
help.

OK, so the distribution does skew a little if you don't put the chits
back
in the pot straight away, but no worse than a system that (say) uses a
card
deck of any sort that you don't shuffle after every draw. At the end of
the
day, does it really matter? Also, both sides get the chance of suffering
the same advantage/disadvantages, so I'd be VERY surprised if it really
affected the overall game outcome in any practical sense. If the end
result
of the game feels right, that is the main thing - I wouldn't worry too
much
about the minutiae...
After all, it's only a game.....< VERY BIG GRIN> (dives for cover.....)

All the best,
Jon (GZG).

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Re: My opinion on Sa'Vasku models Next: Re: Nuclear Pumped Laser Missiles