Prev: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac - Reply Next: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac

Re: B5 and Sir Isaac - Reply

From: db-ft@w... (David Brewer)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 22:49:25 -0500
Subject: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac - Reply

In message <01IGQPDG6EMQ9GWXUM@avion.stsci.edu> "Out of my mind. Back in
five minutes." writes:

> >> -- "Signs and Portents": Garibaldi vectors up and out of the line
of fire of a
> >> Raider, then rotates nose-down to zap him as he overshoots
> >
> >Thrust not applied in a direction across that of travel.
>
> Errrr...better look again? I'm watching it now.  :)  There's quite a
few
> instances when the 'Furies use their 'bottom' and 'top' thrusters to
change
> facing, directions, and stop. They don't use continuous thrust, no,
but they
> are using thrust across the direction of travel.
>
> >> -- "The Fall of Night": The female Zeta Squadron pilot who dodges
Keffer's
> >> attack, then zaps him a la Garibaldi in S&P. Later, 'Furies strafe
the Centauri
> >> BC, rotating nose-down to fire as they fly by
> >
> >Thrust not applied across direction of travel.
>
> Hmmm...I just popped out S&P and put this ep in...looked to me as if
thrust
> was applied across direction of travel.
>
> Are you maybe meaning the main engines not being used other than in
the +/-
> line of travel? 'Cause they are using side thrusters to alter heading,
> direction, and speed (albeit generally to slow down if a speed
change).

Well, yes, I was unclear perhaps. Obviously some thrust is being
used across the direction of travel to change heading whenever a
'Fury jinks and swoops about like a plane. Or rotates like a mobile
turret.

If you can show me a 'Fury turn 90 degrees and apply main thrusters
to give a centripetal force, or even just to slide diagonally, I'll
be much more impressed with the importance of thrust vectoring to
B5 wargaming than I am right now.

--
David Brewer

Prev: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac - Reply Next: Re: B5 and Sir Isaac