Prev: Re: Vector movement Next: Re: Babylon 5 Wars (LONG)

RE: Vector movement (cap ships)

From: Paul Calvi <tanker@r...>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 23:12:18 -0500
Subject: RE: Vector movement (cap ships)

<<<I'm not sure that's a good idea. The FT system is easier but not
necessarily more flexible. I think free spinning dreadnoughts need
to be examined thoroughly.

Heavier ships already hold the edge in weapon range. If they can spin
around as nimbly as lighter vessels, it's going to be very difficult to
exploit the blind rear arc. >>>

Heavier ships don't have to spin as nimbly as smaller ships (and
probably shouldn't). Also, their lower thrust ratings make them less
maneuverable by default.

While the blind rear arc does add a bit more maneuver to the game it
really is a bit silly for a space game. Modern ships don't have a blind
spot. They have areas where certain weapon platforms are masked but no
real blindspot (except against subs in some cases). With seeker weapons
I can't imagine there ever being blind spots in the future. What I'd
like to see in FT is more heavy-hitting, lighter, seeking-weapons that
could be carried by fighters and escort class ships. The advantage BBs
have today is only that they can take a few more hits than lighter
vessels and carry a bit more weapon systems. A BB's 18" guns may be
larger and longer ranged but a Harpoon is a Harpoon whether it is fired
from a PT boat or a BB. Add in the fact that the BB represents "more
eggs in one basket", has lower maneuverability, has high crew
requirements, and it is obvious why there are few around today.

I'd like to see FT shift the balance away from Cap ships a bit more.

Paul