Prev: Re: Leaving the list :-( Next: Re: Space Marines?

Re: Heavy Gear (off topic)

From: Absolutely Barking Stars <JW4@b...>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 05:30:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Heavy Gear (off topic)

At 09:54 12/03/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello all:
>	Everyone at my game store is recommending the Heavy Gear
>RPG/War game by Dream Pod Nine.  Could anyone tell me if system is any
>good.	I don't want to pluck down $30 bucks (a little pricey) for a bad

>game system.
I'm a HG fan so I can give you an opinion..

HG is Primarily an RPG system. That's the most salient point. PART of
that
system is a pretty good squad scale 'big mech' wargame. It's akin to
Battletech but much less complicated and easy to play. It's also much
more
lethal. You can't sit there and duke it out in HG - most gears can take
in
the region of 3 hits before they fail. It's based on a hex system rather
than using inch measures. It simulates combat fairly well, but doesn't
go
in for Bubblegum Crisis style 'heroic combat', it's more realistic than
that. There are also a lot of minis/figures for it which are very nice
but
not cheap. What you get is a wargame where movement and cover play a big
part and it's very quick to resolve,. As a component of the RPG it works
fine and you CAN play it as a wargame but a lot of the rulebook will be
dead space to you if that's all you do.

As a recommendation, I wouldn't really buy into HG purely as a wargaming
system, because that's not what it's about. If you are interested in
RPG's
too, or just like anime based games  it's worth buying.

			TTFN
				Jon
'And I love what we are but I hate what I am
 And I wanna be like you but I hate when you're like them'
		   Maria McKee 'What Else you Wanna Know'
BWFC Fans List Home Page -
	    http://www.sar.bolton.ac.uk/bwfclist

Prev: Re: Leaving the list :-( Next: Re: Space Marines?