Prev: Re: Threshold Damage Cards Next: Re: Dirtside II

Re: Threshold Damage Cards

From: Brian Bell <PDGA6560@c...>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 12:53:35 -0500
Subject: Re: Threshold Damage Cards

Rob on threshold cards:
>Deck size:  50-100 cards?  I guess it depends on how often you
reshuffle
>them and the number of different results included.
>
>Results:  Certainly a bunch of "no effect" cards...  I like the idea of
some
>cascading effect cards such as "internal explosions, draw two more
cards" or
>"catastrophic reactor containment failure - ship explodes!"  This adds
more
>uncertainty and drama to the card draw.
>
>Procedure:  One card draw at first threshold check, two at second, etc.
>
>These are some initial ideas.	Any others?

The main problem with threshold cards is that all ships do not have the
same system.
"You loose the Wave Gun."-card reads
"All Right! I don't have a Wave Gun! No damage!"-player response.
Either obscure weapons will be less effected by threshold cards (more
cards mention "A" bats than Nova Cannons, so Nova Cannons are lost less
often) or "no effect" is the result (as above). If the if/then/else
option is on the cards ("Loose screen. If no screen then loose 1 PDAF")
some systems will still be more likely to be damaged. If it goes to
random, then why have the cards other than atmosphere ("Mr. Spike
accidentally presses the "Maintenance" button on the weapons console.
The
maintenance cover comes off the Muon Projector before he can reset
it"-roll to determine which Beam weapon is damaged)? Also if it lists
specific damage, it will be important to reshuffle the cards frequently,

or have "reshuffle cards", to avoid people playing the odds on the
threshold cards (I'll draw for the escort first because there is only 1
card left that removes Wave Guns).

Just some Ideas.

Brian Bell
pdga6560@compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pdga6560/fthome.html
Includes the Full Thrust Ship Registry.
161 Designs now listed!  Is your ship design here?

Prev: Re: Threshold Damage Cards Next: Re: Dirtside II