Prev: RE: Full thrust font Next: Re: Hypothetical Liberator Stats

Re: B5/FT: Combining Armor and Interceptors?

From: rpaul@w... (Robin Paul)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 06:18:36 -0500
Subject: Re: B5/FT: Combining Armor and Interceptors?

>>I think that you will find armoured ships just a little bit to long
lived
>>if you go for a system like this - especially if they are large.  This
BTW
>>is a fault with many armour systems - large ships benefit far more
than
>>small ships from them.
>
>That's only logical though, Look at the Battleship Iowa and a Light
cruiser
>of the same period. They might have the same percentage of mass as
armor,
>but the Iowa's armor is much thicker and makes the ship more
survivable.
>But the Iowa is also much more expensive and would probably not be used
for
>convoy escort duty.
>
> Marshall Grover

	I agree on your point about bigger ships benefitting more from
armour, but I'd just like to point out that convoy escort was one of the
commonest battleship duties (USN as well as RN) of WW2 in the Atlantic,
where there was a serious threat from powerful surface raiders, and the
Med., with a powerful, if badly handled, surface fleet threatening bases
such as Malta.

Cheers,
Rob Paul

Rob Paul
NERC Institute of Virology
Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3SR	  Tel. (01865) 512361
rpaul@worf.molbiol.ox.ac.uk
  "Once again, villainy is rotting meat before the maggots of justice!"

Prev: RE: Full thrust font Next: Re: Hypothetical Liberator Stats