Prev: Babylon 5 Ships. Next: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion

Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion

From: hal@b...
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 13:04:51 -0500
Subject: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion

Hello Alun,
 <grinning> sorry about mis-remembering your name...

  With respect towards your questions...

The way you labled your damage tracks was:

146
25
3

which led me to believe that it was your intent to use the number of
boxes
as numbered - sequentially.  Probably a mistake on my interpretation...

  Also, in my set up, I suggested that the number of damage points be
doubled, not kept as they are now...  Thus a mass two ship will have two
damage points.	A mass 4+ ship will have at least one damage point per
track.

  As for the effective damage rows being 12 rather than 4 assuming that
cruiser has a mass of 36 and having 4 rows with groups of 3 per row, you
are
functionally correct in that matter.  However, the idea as put forth by
myself isn't so much as to generate more "rows" of damage per se, but to
get
not only an increased number of threshold checks, but also, a graduated
system.  Consider: if you use 12 rows of damage records - that would
make it
hard to know when to roll 6's, 5's, 4's, or 3's.  By keeping the
original
number of "rows", the first row shows that threshold checks are 6's.
The
second row shows that checks are at 5's, etc...

  The proposal is more for allowing larger ships to be damaged
proportionately to their size as opposed to watching a large ship get
hammered for a long time before it finally loses some systems.	My
"proposal" would be just as good if the rows were divided into two
groups
per row rather than three groups.  The point of this whole "idea" was to
explore ways and means of giving the escort a little bit more "survival
time" and having super ships lose their overly extreme edge of
"invulnerability" to damage.  Also, I find it hard to believe that an
escort
type ship can be "blown" out of space without having undergone the same
process of rolling a check versus a 6, 5, and 4 through out it's
existance.

  In general, I suspect that my "optional" rule concept is not overly
liked
- which is ok.	It was an attempt to fix what I consider to be a
problem,
yet that others do not...

Enjoy...

   Hal

Prev: Babylon 5 Ships. Next: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion