Prev: Re: C batteries / PDAF Next: Re: guns in vacuum (was Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!)

Star Trek, 1st gen

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792@o...>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 17:46:15 -0500
Subject: Star Trek, 1st gen

The following are some house rules that we have used in constructing
Star
Trek scenarios.  The tech is based on Star Fleet Battles and represents
the first series (Kirk and all).  I thought I would post these and see
what the reaction was like since I have only seen Next Gen stuff on the
net.

General rules:

Construction:

We increased the mass of Escorts to 20 and the mass of Cruisers to 40.
This was to give us a little more room with the small ships.

Escorts may mount 2 heavy weapons
Cruisers may mount 4 heavy weapons
Capitals may mount 6 heavy weapons

heavy weapons are defined as:
	Photon Torpedos 	(Fed)
	Disruptors		(Klingon, Lyran, Kzinti)
	Plasma Torpedos (Romulon, Gorn)
	Fusion Beams		(Hydron)
	Hellbores		(Hydron)

Phasers:

Phasers are defined as Batteries
	Phaser I   = A-batt	(Feds, Romulon, Gorn)
	Phaser II  = B-batt	(Klingon, Lyran, Kzinti)
	Phaser III = C-batt	(All)

Some changes were made to the way phasers/batteries were bought.

	Phaser I cost 3 mass up to two arcs, +1 mass per extra arc
	Phaser II cost 2 mass up to three arcs, +1 mass for the fourth
	Phaser III cost 1 mass up to four arcs

	All cost is the same as FT
	Phasers may be mounted to fire into the rear arc.

Shields:

Shields are defined as FT screans.  There are however a few additions to
the normal screan in FT.

	Point Screan (Shields):
		Mass: 1 	Cost: 25

		A Point Screan has the same effect as a normal screan.
The Point Screan differs in that it may only protect a ship through one
arc of fire.  This arc is set at ship construction and cannot be changed
during play (usually the front arc).

		Example: a ship with one normal screan and one point
screan to the front arc would have a screan level of two from shots
coming
at it from the front arc and a screan level of one from all other arcs.

	Directional Screan (Shields):
		Mass: 2 	Cost: 25

		A Directional Screan has the same effect as a normal
screan.  The Directional Screan differs in that it may only protect a
ship
through one arc of fire.  The arc that the Directional Screan protects
the
ship through can be changed from turn to turn.	The arc that the screan
will provide protection through is chosen after movement but before any
fire takes place.

A ship may only mount one of each of these systems.

These Systems were needed to help give the ST flavor.  In SFB most ships
have shielding that is stronger to the front of the ship and much of the
tactics of the game deal with maneuvering into a position to fire
through
a less well protected area.  The Directional Screan was needed to cover
all of the episodes in which the feds would reinforce a shield.  That in
effect is what the Directional Screan really is.

Another idea that we will explore is using a damage point system for
shields.  Each shield will represent XX points of damage that can be
sustained from a shield before any damage is done to the ship.	This
would
have the advantage of giving the "shields at 50% strength" text that is
often seen in ST.

-

That is about it for the Generic stuff.  Most of the rest is straight
across.  Warp drives are FTL, that sort of thing.  The rest of the
systems should be covered in a race by race description (photons, etc.)
I'll post those later if there is interest.

Chad Taylor

Prev: Re: C batteries / PDAF Next: Re: guns in vacuum (was Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!)