Prev: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion

From: hal@b...
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 16:11:28 -0500
Subject: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion

Hello List,
  After reading the analysis of the sliding track damage system, I would
like to mention something that occurs to me after reading Mr. Alun's
conceptual statement earlier...

  If a ship has 3 damage tracks, with 4, 5, and 5 on it's tracks, then
doesn't it take 4 points of damage under the old system before it takes
threshold check rather than the 3 that Mr. Alun seems to imply?  I was
confused by the statements recently made.

  With regards to the concept that I mentioned earlier, I suggested that
we
break the track down into "groups" and also standardize how each
grouping is
done.  With that thought in mind, I considered the concept that each
ship
has a number of damage points equal to the actual tonage.  A mass two
ship,
still gets only two damage points, but since it has to stretch the
points in
4 tracks, the first track is "empty", the second track has one, the
third
track is empty, and the fourth trach has the final damage point.  When
skipping over a line due to "empty", the ship has to take threshold
checks
at the worse level rather than the missed level.  Thus, after the first
hit,
the small two mass ship checks it's systems at a 5&6 rather than the 6.
On
the last hit, the ship takes threshold checks at 3,4,5, and 6.	It blows
up
on excess damage with a roll of a 1d6 on rolls equal to or less than the
excess damage.

  If we want to make the number of "group" checks per 1/3 of a line (ie
three threshold checks per "line"), then the following kinds of
threshold
checks come into being:

36 mass ship:

6) OOO	OOO  OOO
5) OOO	OOO  OOO
4) OOO	OOO  OOO
3) OOO	OOO  OOO

13 mass ship:

6) OOO
5) OOO
4) OOO
3) OOO O

8 mass ships:

6) OO
5) OO
4) OO
3) OO

100 mass ships:

6) OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO
5) OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO
4) OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO
3) OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOOO

  If you noticed, I have 9 in the first (section or begining of row) hit
grouping, then 8 in the remainders.  The reason is that I didn't know
what
to do with the "odd" number of hits.  Had the ship been 101 masss, I
would
have put the "odd" remaining 1 in the last row, ie the "3" threshold
check
line.  This would have had two groupings with 9 hits, and the last row
getting the extra hits.  Thus, the 101 mass ship would look like:

101 mass ships:

6) OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO
5) OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO
4) OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOO
3) OOOOOOOO  OOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO

I almost forgot:

5 mass ship:

6) O
5) O
4) O
3) OO

Thoughts?

Hal

Prev: Re: FT: Damage Track Sliding Scale Suggestion Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!