Prev: Re: guns in vacuum (was Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!) Next: Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!

Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 16:40:57 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

Ludo Toen writes:

@:) Like you say, the fighter's trying to dodge the AA, an undefended
@:) ship would be hard to miss unless it was something like a
@:) torpedoboat or something like that.

  Well, not to belabor a point or anything but actually ships like
carriers and superheavy battleships were more what I was thinking of
than torpedo boats.  There are some fantastic aerial photos of
(several) bomb splashes to either side of a completely unscathed
warship.  I'm pretty sure one of the photos I've seen was the Bismark
(obviously you can't dodge forever) and the rest were pacific
battleships and carriers.  You really can evade air attack, or you
used to be able to anyway.  Ships aren't as big as you think when
you're moving in at four hundred miles an hour with no aiming
equipment but the nose of your aircraft.

  Whether these conditions should be simulated in FT is another matter
but I think that the basic FT theory fits quite well to a space-going
WWII navy kind of concept.

-joachim

Prev: Re: guns in vacuum (was Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!) Next: Re: Near Future Rules Draft is up!