Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

From: dbell@z... (David G. Bell)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 10:10:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!

In message <331018B7.3D08@calweb.com> Thomas Corcoran writes:
> Ground Zero Games wrote:
> >
> > NEW DESIGN/CONSTRUCTION SYSTEM:
> >
> > 6) Instead of four equal 90 degree fire arcs, we may change to
fore/aft
> > arcs of 60 degrees each and side arcs of 120 degrees - this brings
the arcs
> > in line with the 12 course directions, and makes fire arcs easy to
judge
> > from a hexagonal model base (1 base side = 60 degrees, 2 = 120). Do
you
> > think this will make a great deal of difference to the game, other
than
> > (perhaps) making broadside mounts a little more acctractive?
> >
>	If you want to promote broadside weapons, make them cheeper.
>	Why not make 6 firing arcs? (kidding)
>	This change more or less dictates that ships are constructed
like
> modern warships (that is long and narrow.)  This is not stictly
required
> in a space setting.  Further, how would the change affect space
> stations?  Are the rules going to have different firing arc schemes
> depending on the shape of the ship?
>
>	I think the 4 quadrents are simple and efficient.

The question of both this, a bias towards broadside armament, and of
firing into the rear arc, is where the answer depends a lot on the
setting.  David Weber's Honor Harrington series has few fighters, and a
technology that seems designed to create Nelson-style broadside/line-of-

battle tactics.  Other SF worlds operate with different rationales, and
different tactics.  The existing GZG-universe maybe doesn't depend
critically on these game-design choices, but it might be that the answer

would be to have variations from the existing system as 'official'
alternatives.

So an Honor Harrington campaign would employ options that encourage
broadside-to-broadside actions, with no carriers, while a B5-style
campaign would use other options, like carrier/battleship combinations.

This suggests that planning for a more modular rules system would be
important, including options for different movement systems for
fighters.

BTW, while the book 'Honor Amongst Enemies' is in a British edition,
there is a long series available in American editions, and the earlier
ones do have some info about the rationale behind the tactics.	They're
worth a look.

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, Furry, and Punslinger..

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas! Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] new ideas!