Prev: Re: Amphibious Ships Next: Re: Ogre Figures

Re: Merchant Hulls and Amphibious Vessesls

From: AEsir@a...
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 13:46:37 -0500
Subject: Re: Merchant Hulls and Amphibious Vessesls

I suggest that you read on in my description to the sections that cover
the
troop carrying capacity etc.  Using the More Thrust section on troops
carried
we can see that a standard warship can devote about 10% of its mass to
carry
shore parties.	This means a standard warship can carry its Mass X 5/4
worth
of troops.   This number assumes the shuttles onboard that can ferry
troops
to ground when not challenged by enemy forces.	Meanwhile an Amphibious
Warship can carry its Mass X 5 worth of troops.  Again this assumes
using
standard boats to ferry the troops to the surface.  When doing an
opposed
assault, your assault boats count against you troop carrying capacity.
  Amphibious ships, particulary today, conduct their battles close to
enemy
shores.  I see not difference in space.  The USS Tripoli survived a mine
hit,
because of her DC and structural integrity, meanwhile many converted
merchants have not done so well...

Prev: Re: Amphibious Ships Next: Re: Ogre Figures